the Baltic seacoast about thirty kilometers east of Danzig,
grew in stages, beginning immediately after the German
invasion of Poland. The majority of inmates were Poles,
including many members of illegal underground resistance
organizations. The Red Army approached within forty to fifty
kilometers of Stutthof by January 25, 1945, but bypassed the
marshy terrain on its march to Berlin, so the camp was not
liberated until May 9, 1945.
Beginning in April 1943, a generic formular prisoners'
lettercard appeared, printed on flimsy paper for use in
every concentration camp, with rules applicable to all that
permitted two letters or cards per month to and from each
prisoner. The printer's notation at the lower left, "KL/75/4.43
5.000.000," indicates a total quantity of five million for a
single press order, which gives an indication of the
enormous number of inmates held captive in camps by then.
was canceled June 30, 1944, at Stutthof.