A section of railway
line that ran between Łapy and Bialystok was
built in 1861-2; this section that ran through
Łapy was one of the line's busiest routes. The
railway line itself that ran through Łapy
was part of the Warsaw-Petersburg Rail. At that
time, the railway station was built as was a
depot for the locomotives. At first just a
single track ran through the town; later a
second track was built.
When the railway line
Brześć-Ostrołęka-Grajewo-Łapy was completed,
Łapy became an important cog within the railway
such a railroad run through Łapy created a
certain degree of wealth and status for those
who could profit from it.
Initially the trains
that ran through Łapy ran on a single-track; a
second track was added at the end of the
nineteenth century. Łapy was one of the towns
along the route that built workshops; Łapy had
one of the bigger ones.
During the interwar period Łapy, by the banks of the Narew River, developed
greatly. This happened in no small measure because the service plant at the Łapy
railway station expanded. In the early to
mid-twenties, a many railway specialists,
building engineers, machine engineers, as well
as many others from surrounding villages moved
to Łapy because of the development of the
railway plant. Thus Łapy became a big industrial
area, populated with not only railway
specialists, but worker-laborers too.