Born on 1 May 1903 in Vilna,
into the home of an active worker and cultural activist
and in his early childhood there grew a love for Yiddish
culture. He completed a Russian-Jewish folkshul,
and in the year of the First World War, the professional
school “Hilf-durkh-arbet (Help Through Work),” and the
evening courses of a middle-school education. In his
twentieth year he became active in the management of the
professional and revolutionary youth movement in Vilna.
His theatrical activity
began in dramatic circles at the professional school,
and he debuted in G. Hauptmann’s “The Weaver" (director Kh.
Molski) in Vilna’s municipal theatre (March 1920). In
1932 he completed the Vilna Yiddish dramatic studio with
the arts society, under the leadership of A. Slobodski
and A. Morevsky. He acted in the kamarale
evenings with the arts society, and in an entire range
of better Yiddish theatre ensembles (with A. Morevski,
Z. Turkow et al). He excelled as one of the important
organizers and regisseurs in the best dramatic Vilna
dramatic circles of theatre amateurs (1921-1932). He was
the director of a dramatic circle in [various] Vilna
Yiddish youth organizations (HaShomer, Khalutz, Bin,
Tsukunft et al), and dramatic classes and studios in
almost the entirety of the Vilna school system in
Yiddish, Hebrew, Russian, Polish, Lithuanian and
Esperanto. He was the co-founder of the Hebrew studio in
Vilna (1927), and for a children’s theatre (with E.
Stolitska in 1930 and in 1940), founder and regisseur of
the semi-professional dramatic collective “Davke”
(1934), and of the Vilna Yiddish marionette theatre “Meydim”.
Management member of the arts society and of the theatre
society in Vilna.