Feivel (Philip) Werner, son of Shlomo Zalman, was born in 1852 in
Novy Dvor, Lithuania. He moved to Bialystok in 1870. From there he
immigrated to Philadelphia where he became a major pillar of the
immigrant Jewish community. He served as President of Congregation
Kesher Israel and of the Hebrew Free School. He was also the
founder of Linat Tzedek, Director of the Home for Hebrew Orphans,
and was one of the organizers of the Kosher Union.