EXHIBITION

 

Placards from the Yiddish Theatre

 
 
 

 

 

 

The Neighborhood Playhouse

The Neighborhood Playhouse was located at 466 Grand Street on the Lower East Side of Manhattan.

 

 


photo
: The play to be performed on a Saturday evening, 29 Sep 1917, and on Sunday the next day, by the Educational Committee of the Arbeiter Ring (Workmen's Circle) was "Einzame Menshen," or "Lonely People," a drama in five acts.

photos: courtesy of the New York Public Library Digital Gallery.

 


photo
:
The play to be performed on 9 January 1916 is "Tsulieb glik  [For happiness]." It is being presented by the Educational Committee of the Arbeiter Ring. This is a drama in three acts written by Stanislaw Pshibishewsky.

  Per the New York Times, 25 Jan 1915:

"The Neighborhood Playhouse, a novel theatre at 466 Grand Street, is to open with a biblical play, "Jephtha's Daughter," which has been written for the occasion. The Playhouse was built as an experimental theatre to carry on the dramatic and festival work of the Henry Street Settlement. According to the backers of the enterprise, it aims to be a community theatre, where the traditions of the neighborhood can find artistic expression, where interesting productions of serious plays and comedies as well as the lighter forms of entertainment may be found."

 
 
 


Copyright 2008 Museum of Family History. All rights reserved.
Image Use Policy

 

Home       |       Site Map      |      Exhibitions     |     About the Museum      |      Education      |     Contact Us       |      Links