Lives in the Yiddish Theatre
SHORT BIOGRAPHIES OF THOSE INVOLVED IN THE Yiddish THEATRE
aS DESCRIBED IN zALMEN zYLBERCWEIG'S "lEKSIKON FUN YIDISHN TEATER"

1931-1969
 

Bagatela Theatre

"Bagatela" Theatre in Mokotov, a suburb of Warsaw, village, not considered to be stable, but as a Yiddish seasonal theatre. The theatre belonged to a Polish-German society, and each summer there performed where a different cast had played.

In 1905 the dramatist and regisseur Mark Arnstein urged with the society for a Yiddish theatre at every "Bagatela" location [?] . He paid three thousand rubles for the season, brought down from Odessa the following ensemble (Esther-Rukhl Kaminska, Miriam Trilling, Yermolina-Vaysman, Sonia Edelman, Barska-Fisher, Nadia Neroslavska, Regina Kaminska, Zina Rapel, Goldberg, Julia Zandberg, Miriam Gurewitz, Avraham-Yitzhak Kaminski, Yakov Libert, Leyzer Rapel, Sam Adler, H. Vaysman, Mordecai Ribalski, Herman Fisher, Yitzhak Zandberg, Moshe Zandberg, Solomon Krause, Yitzhak Schlossberg, Lempkowitz, Herman and Adolf [?] Fisher, Sheila Rothstein, Gustav Shvartsbard, Shtrasfogel, Bezman, Yokl Rotbard, Doktorov, Nathan Dramov, M. Kh. Titelman), and on 19 May 1905 the theatre opened as a Yiddish theatre with Feinman's "Chanale the Orphan", then there was performed there Lateiner's "The Destruction of Jerusalem". The director, according to the advertisements, was Mark Arnstein.

In the first months, the material success was very good. Soon, however, quarrels often occurred between the troupe and the regisseur, and a "revolution" in the theatre was urged. The actors Zandberg and Krause increased their authority against Arnstein, because they had considered the shund ("trashy" repertoire -- ed.), and him more literary offerings. Arnstein left the theatre and went over to the Muranow Theatre, some remained in "Bagatela", but the productions already hadn't the same character that they had in the beginning.

In the summer of 1906, the "Bagatela" Theatre again opened as a Yiddish theatre under other direction (Rapel and Eplberg from the "Elizeum"), also with a little, modified repertoire. The singer-actor B. Abelman, returned from America, performed, but every effort by the directors did not help. The effort of several Yiddish theatres in Warsaw was a serious competition for a theatre, which was founded far from the Jewish Quarter. The theatre closed and again opened as a Polish theatre, and later it was transformed into a cabaret.

  • [--] -- History of Yiddish Theatre in Wrsaw, "Teater-tsaytung", Warsaw, 1928, N' 7.


 

 

 

 


 

 

Home       |       Site Map       |      Exhibitions      |      About the Museum       |       Education      |      Contact Us       |       Links


Adapted from the original Yiddish text found within the  "Lexicon of the Yiddish Theatre" by Zalmen Zylbercweig, Volume 3,  page 4958.
 

Copyright Museum of Family History.  All rights reserved.