Lives in the Yiddish Theatre
SHORT BIOGRAPHIES OF THOSE INVOLVED IN THE Yiddish THEATRE
aS DESCRIBED IN zALMEN zYLBERCWEIG'S "lEKSIKON FUN YIDISHN TEATER"

1931-1969
 

Jardin d'Hiver

In 1905, after completing with a roaring success the summer season in the "Bagetela" Theatre in Warsaw, Dr. Rozenzal and the dramatist and regisseur Mark Arnstein urged the cabaret on Chmielne 9 [to become] a Yiddish theatre, and here it opened during the winter season with the same troupe that performed in the "Bagatela" (Esther Rukhl Kamnska, Miriam Trilling, Yermolina-Vaysman, Barska-Fisher, Sonia Edelman, Regina Kaminska, Sonia Libert, Khiena Braginska, Krause-Miler, Sonia Schlossberg, Vera Zaslavska, Avraham Yitzhak Kaminski, Avraham Fishzon, Misha Fishzon, Yakov Libert, Nathan Dranov, H. Vaysman, Herman Fisher, Brandeska, Solomon Krause, M. Kh. Titelman, Lazer Rapel, Herman Berman, Shapiro, Lazer Zhelazo, Doktorov, Gustav Shvartsbard, Yitzhak Zandberg, Adolf Berman, et al). The repertoire originated from the plays of Sholem Aleichem, I. L. Peretz, Jacob Gordin, Mark Arnstein and translations of Gorky and Pshibishevsky.

The troupe was brought under the system of "markes". The director was Avraham Yitzhak Kaminski, actor-leader, H. Eplberg, orchestra conductor -- Yitzhak (Isaac) Schlossberg, and technical head -- Herman Fisher. In a year's time, the troupe had performed without a break, and the material success was excellent, but then the "harmony" became disrupted: there began intrigues and behind-the-scenes gossip, which triggered old quarrels and conflicts, which also affected the internal organization of the theatre. In the meantime a Polish operetta troupe had hired out the theatre, and the troupe then was forced to leave: the dramatic section traveled to Lodz and Avraham Fishzon with his family, and even some actors left for Russia.

In 1907 the actor Julius Adler returned from America with a new repertoire (Gordin, Libin, Zolotarevsky et al.). The Lodz troupe returned to Warsaw, and at Passover 1907, with the him the theatre returned to a Yiddish theatre. Returning were new [actors]: Julius and Amelia Adler, Sh.(Shmuel) Landau, A. (Avraham) Samberg and Kayzerovitsh. The season opened with Zolomol in Warsaw, and was enthusiastically received by the theatre public, so that the play was performed consecutively for several months. Morevski's "Yeshiva bukher", which was staged initially, then there was staged "Di getsvungene khasene", "Gebrokhene hertser", "Zelik itsik der klezmer", "Shma Yisrael", et al. A great success was also Gordin's "Di shkhite (The Slaughter)", which was then staged for the first time in Warsaw.

After performing barely for two years, the theatre was liquidated in 1909 due to the fact that German and Italian businessmen bought back the theatre building, [in order to turn it into] a large cabaret. The Yiddish troupe, however, did not dissolve, but in full went together over to the "Elizeum" Theatre, which was run by the Maklieyd company (a beer brewery) through Avraham Yitzhak Kaminski, Lazer Rapel, H. Eplberg and H. Vaysman.

In 1928 in the same location as the theatre, there opened the large "Palace" movie house.

  • [--] -- History of Yiddish Theatre in Warsaw, "Teater-Tsaytung", 1928, N' 2.


 

 

 

 


 

Home       |       Site Map       |      Exhibitions      |      About the Museum       |       Education      |      Contact Us       |       Links


Adapted from the original Yiddish text found within the  "Lexicon of the Yiddish Theatre" by Zalmen Zylbercweig, Volume 3  page 4939.
 

Copyright Museum of Family History.  All rights reserved.