Born on 20 December 1910 in
Lokshivke, Kiev Gubernia, Ukraine, to parents descended
from R' Liberl of Berdichev. His father was a
businessman. He learned in a Talmud Torah in Uman. In
1919 the family immigrated to Romania, and B. learned in
Kishinev in the "Beit Sefer Lflitim", then graduated
hrb from Tsirelson's pro-gymnasium. At the same time
he sang as an alto in the chorus with the cantors
Tsipers and Dovidl Roytman.
In 1924 he immigrated with
his family to the United States. Here he learned in the
Iran prep school and worked as an employee in the office
of "Tog", then there became a reporter and was given to
an associate of a city editor A. H. Rubinstein.
Attending the drama "Kdm", staged by Bulgakov, and
during the Habimah visit in New York, he joined the
Habima studio. Later he acted in Yiddish and Hebrew with
the remaining division of the "Habimah" troupe, run by
Nakhum Tsimakh, as well as Glagolin's English production
of Lope De Vega's "Der gertner un der hunt".
In 1932 P. was a singer and
recitator in concerts, including in "Kunts ring", acting
in Maurice Schwartz's production of "Yoshe Kalb",
"Brothers Ashkenazi", "Jacques Berson" and "The Wise Men
of Chelm", and later with Lucy and Misha German in
B. went on a tour across the
United States and Canada for the Jewish National Workers
Farband, with L. Harris and Bela Belerina, acting for
two years in the troupe of the "Folks Theatre"
as a "seriozha"
in Artsibashev's "Eyferzukht", "Enzl shukht" in
Ressler's "60,000 gvrim". In Gottesfeld's "Mkhusnim",
in Pirandelo's "Er, zi un der okt", in "Der urteyl",
as well as the small-arts troupe "Tsu-lakh-es" and "Zalts
un fefer" with Skuler, Bleich, Gladstone et al, and
Bulgarov's English production of Gogol's "Revizor".
In 1942 he served in the
American air flotilla, working in the military
secrets section, learning as a radio operator in
Wisconsin and in University of Illinois and
graduated as a translator of Russian and
He returned from
military service, and he performed with Goldenburg
in the Parkway Theatre, and in 1945 he came to the
WEVD radio station as a news reporter, then became a
permanent staff member as an announcer, commentator,
and director with the kufs khulim programs.
Since 1949 he has performed on the radio several
times a week as a reader of Sholem Aleichem's works,
and he also directed a children's riddle(?) program
in Yiddish, Hebrew and English, under the name "Sharfe
Sh. and M. E.