Lives in the Yiddish
SHORT BIOGRAPHIES OF THOSE INVOLVED IN
THE Yiddish THEATRE
aS DESCRIBED IN zALMEN zYLBERCWEIG'S "lEKSIKON FUN YIDISHN TEATER"
Charles W. Groll
G. was born on 10 February
1884 in Stanislawow, Galicia. He came as a child with
his family to America. At the age of ten until age
thirteen he was in an orphan's home, where he received a
Jewish education, and there he participated in the
English productions. He completed public and high
school, and further went to evening lectures. Then for
several years he was a bookkeeper in a printing shop
where they printed posters. As such he became acquainted
with the then "amateurs' and entered into their club.
In 1904 G. married Rosa
Karp, completed the university as a lawyer, and he
became together with Blank, Sam Rosenstein and Bela
Gudinski the co-directors of the Lenox Theatre, where
there was staged his drama in four acts "Brother
and Sister." After that as the theatre closed, G. opened the
Liberty Theatre in Brownsville as a Yiddish theatre.
There for eight years he was director, and he then opened
the Prospect Theatre in the Bronx, where he was director
for one year.
In 1914 there was staged
G.'s play Ir farteydigung," or "Ir shreklekher sud."
Giving himself as his main
work as a lawyer with theatre subjects, G. led the envy
of the "London Theatre" as a Yiddish theatre for Keni
Lipzin. He transformed in Boston the Hippodrome into a
Yiddish theatre, and was the initiator of the building
of the theatre
on 12th Street in
New York (at first "Schwartz's Art Theatre",
then it was called the "Folks Theatre"), and of
the Public Theatre on 4th Street in New York.
G. founded the
Yiddish Theatre Manager's Association, and since
1920 has been the official lawyer for the
Yiddish [Hebrew] Actors' Union.
G. is the secretary
of the Publishing Committee for the "Lexicon of
the Yiddish Theatre".
B. Gorin --
'History of Yiddish Theatre," Vol. II (list of
Adapted from the original Yiddish text found within the "Lexicon
of the Yiddish Theatre" by Zalmen Zylbercweig,
Volume 1, page 516.
Copyright © Museum of Family History.
All rights reserved.