M. was born in 1870 in
Bendin, Petrikov Gubernia, Poland.
From childhood on M.
manifested an interest in badkhanim and marriage
motifs. Under the influence of the Broder Singers, M.
put together for Purim 1888 a purimshpiel with
other youths, which had a great success and made him
popular in the city. Gelis, who traveled through Bendin
with his troupe, took him in and from theer M. went over
to the troupe of Kaminski, where he acted in women's
roles. Later he toured with Shtumakher's troupe he acted
in Yiddish-German theatre under difficult conditions.
In 1899 M. performed
together with the Broder Singers in Krakow with the
director Kener, 1902 with Fishzon, 1907-8 as the first
comic with Julius Adler, then in London, Paris, Vienna
In wartime, M. toured with a
collective under his direction to Siberia and the Urals.
During the October
Revolution (1918), M. worked in Kremenchug in the state
theatre. In 1919 he was in Poltava with Zaslavsky. In
1920 he was regisseur in Sebezh, in the state
collective. In 1922, he was a [polotsk] in the
Politprosoviet. In 1923 he was in the Minsk State
Theatre with Brandesco and then in the club "Kim", in a
club of the transport workers and in a club of the [shpeyzler]
until July 1927. In 1928 M. worked in a collective "Arbeter-bine",
which he had organized.
On 8 October 1928 in Minsk
he became celebrated during his forty-year stage
M. wrote the plays "Zalmen
engel, a revolutionary drama in three acts", "Di erd
brent, a play of [birger-krig] in three acts", and he
translated "Der doktor fun untern shtekn" by Moliere, "Khaer
tsantskin, in four acts" by Popov, and "Shvartser
holztukh, in three acts and six scenes" by Boris Vaks.
M. also works from time to
time in clubs and in "Bielgoskino".
M. had published in the
Minsk journal "Shtern" (1, 2-3, 4, 1926) his memoirs
about the theatre (written by L. Dushman).
Sh. E. from
myodovnik (flugblat lkbud zeyn yubiley)
M. Myodovnik -- Meyne
teater-zikhroynes, "Shtern", 1, 203, 4, 1926.
I. Lifshits -- Meyene
teater-zikhroynes, "Archive", Vilna, 1930, p. 509.