In the winter of 1918 the
"Vilna Troupe" began, which guest-starred in Warsaw and
Lodz, divided by Alomis and Azro, and together with
Sherman there came together in Vilna (which was taken
over by the Soviet might), a group of actors and
"amateurs", and they founded in the city theatre a
troupe of private elements. The troupe in the beginning
-- according to Avraham Teitelbaum -- was
supported by Dr. Shabar, Dr. Wygodski, Sh. Niger and Sh.
Anski. Soon however the organization of the troupe was
taken over by the Educational Committee of Lita. This
became a state [organization], and it was supported by
Commissar Director H' Nelson [Katzenelson].
On 15 February 1919 they
opened the theatre with the offering of Hirshbein's "Di
puste kretshme (The Haunted Inn)". Also they received an
official greeting from the government.
The latter repertoire
consisted of Hirhbein's "Di nevula", Andreyev's "Di teg
fun unzer lebn", Asch's "God of Vengeance", Peretz's "Es
brent", and "Der meshugener betlen", and Schnitzler's "Anatol".
Later, the Commissar was
supported B. Orshansky, and in the Repertoire Commission
there were: Sh. Niger, A. Weiter, B. Orshansky, A. Azro
and Avraham Teitelbaum.
There was also staged
special children's dramatized productions of Peretz's "Der
din-torah mitn vind", and "Der arendar".
During the first rehearsal
of Peretz's "Goldene keyt" (on 19 April 1919), the city
was taken from Poland. The Bolsheviks withdrew and the
theatre as a state institution was dissolved.
The troupe consisted of:
Men: Azro, Bulkin, Hmkbi,
Teitelbaum, Shlomo Kon, Sherman and Schwartz.
Women: Orshanska, Braz,
Budina, Dorina, Almois and Rivkin.
According to B. Orshanksy,
the regisseur of the troupe was A. Azro. They also
staged Hirshbein's "A farvorfener vinkl (A Faraway
Corner)", and in the Soviet repertoire there wasn't
Anski, but H' Tomsinsky.
Avraham Teitelbaum --
Der idisher theater in vilna, velkhen di
sovieten-regirung hot oysgehalten, "Forward", N. Y.,
7 November 1919.
B. Orshansky -- "Teater-shlakhtn",
1931, pp. 107-117.