Lives in the Yiddish Theatre
SHORT BIOGRAPHIES OF THOSE INVOLVED IN THE Yiddish THEATRE
aS DESCRIBED IN zALMEN zYLBERCWEIG'S "lEKSIKON FUN YIDISHN TEATER"

1931-1969
 

Yiddish Actors' Club

In April 1945 the manager of the Yiddish Actors Union Reuben Guskin called together a conference of twenty-five people, members of the executive and active members of the Yiddish Actors Union and representatives of the theatrical profession, and with them discussed the problems, because the theatre cafe and "Cafe Royale" restaurant were dormant, and the Yiddish theatre people didn't have a place to spend their time, legyt er for, that the Actors Union should convert the hall on the first floor into a club with all the amenities, such as a kitchen for a restaurant, a library, a round table where one should be able to sit and relax and also bring in various performances. Hereby the Actors' Union invested around ten thousand dollars, as a loan, for the necessary expenses to arrange all facilities in the club, which also includes a cooling system. The club should carry the same name of a similar institution, which once existed: "Yidisher teater-klub", should have a special administration, which should direct the club, and pay the Actors' Union's rent.
 

 

THE ADMINISTRATION OF THE YIDDISH ACTORS' CLUB

 

Seated: Dr. Ehrenberg, Louis Goldstein (Ex-Vice-President), David Kulok (Ex-President), Jack Rechtzeit (President), Max Bozyk (First Vice-President), Clara Rosenthal (Second Vice-President), Charlie Cohan. Second row (from right) Executive Committee: Helen Friedman, Lida Slava, Rose Shoshana, Dora Stein, Reizl Bozyk, Rosetta Bialis, Annie Lubin, Rose Yeager. Third row (from right): David Dank, Sam Gelb, Mordecai Yachson, Mordecai Yardeini, Sam Schwartz.

The proposal was unanimously adopted and was handed over to the lawyer Jerome Parker to renew the charter of the disappearing club.

In June 1945, under the chairing of Reuben Guskin, the first founders' meeting of the club, and all the officers were shared: David Kulok -- President, Louis Goldstein and Milton Weintraub  -- Vice-Presidents, Hershel Levin -- Recording Secretary, Charlie Cohan -- Financial Secretary, and Jerome Parker --Treasurer). It was decided to pay back in the span of four years the sum of 8,000 dollars, which the union had invested in the establishment of the club, pay the union one hundred dollars a month for the rent, and only cover the costs of the heating and lighting. There was appointed two managers for the night and the evening -- Herman Serotsky and Itzhak Oberman. Members of the Actors' Union did not pay any entrance fees. For non-members, the entrance fee was five dollars, and the yearly fee for each member was five dollars a year.

The club soon became the place to relax for the Yiddish theatre folk. In 1946 the club had three hundred and fifty members.

The membership of the club consisted of actors, employees of other theatre professions, union leaders, business lawyers, doctors and other professionals.

The club, which also had a small stage, found itself in a building of the Yiddish Actors' Union, New York, 31 East 7th Street, and was opened every day from noon until midnight. From time to time there was arranged Sunday forums with lectures and musical-literary programs, free for every member and friend of Yiddish theatre.

In the span of its existence, there were the following presidents of the club: David Kulok, Louis Goldstein, Leon Liebgold, Hershel Levin and Herman Yablokoff.

The current officers are: David Kulok -- Honorary President, Nathan Goldberg -- Honorary Vice-President, Jacob Rechtzeit -- President, Max Bozyk and Clara Rosenthal -- Vice-Presidents, Sam Schwartz -- Protocol (Recording) Secretary, Rose Pivar -- Financial Secretary, and in management -- Reizl (Rose) Bozyk, Helen Friedman, Ethel Harrison, Annie Lubin, Lida Slava, Dora Stein, Rosetta Yeager, David Dank, Gusssie Ehrenberg, Sam Gelb, Paul Rotman and Mordecai Yachson. In the Cultural Committee: Rosetta Bialis, Mordecai Yardeini, Louis Freiman and Rose Shoshana. The club doctor is Dr. Max Ehrenberg, and the lawyer of the club is Jerome Parker.


Sh. E. from Louis Goldstein.


 

 

 

 


 

Home       |       Site Map       |      Exhibitions      |      About the Museum       |       Education      |      Contact Us       |       Links


Adapted from the original Yiddish text found within the  "Lexicon of the Yiddish Theatre" by Zalmen Zylbercweig, Volume 3,  page 2265.
 

Copyright Museum of Family History.  All rights reserved.