Museum of
Family History

 

   
  Home   Visit   What's New   The Museum   Education and Research  

 Help Us Grow

 

    Eastern European Jewry  > Where Once There Were Jews >  Łapy, Poland

 

Łapy, Poland
Where Once There Were Jews


       
 

Lapy's City Center, 1944

Photo, above: In the foreground is the town's train station. On the left is a department store that was founded in 1924.

Lapy's Train Station, 1943

Photo, above: The family of Chaim Nietupski during the Occupation. L to R: Chaim's wife, sister and children. There were all killed by the Germans. Photo dated 1942.

Photo, below: The German gendarme Kairis, who served with the German military police. He killed many Jews--about one hundred--in this town between 1942 and 1943. Most were killed during the liquidation of the ghetto in Łapy on 2 November 1942. The Jews who had managed to hide to that point were caught and killed on the spot in the woods outside of the town.

Lapy's Gendarmerie, 1944

Photo, above: The German military police building. Here served ten German and six Ukrainian policemen. In the square next to this buildings, many were murdered.

 

Lapy's "Bahnshutze", 1943


Photo, left: The German police station in Łapy that was responsible for protecting and securing the trains at the railroad station that carried Jews to the Treblinka death camps.

The area surrounding the tracks were thoroughly searched and many Jews who jumped from the train were killed.

 Most of the Jews who jumped at the Łapy - Łapy Osse area; here, the train usually slowed down as it climbed close to half a kilometer uphill. It was the only chance that someone on the train had a chance to save themselves.
 

 

Lapy's City Center During Occupation, 1943

Photo, above: German gendarmes. From left is Pruss Fritz, Adolf Windrich and Hans Anders. Pruss Fritz was responsible for the deaths of nearly one hundred and fifty Jews during the German occupation in Łapy.

After the liquidation of the ghetto in Łapy, the surviving Jews were killed in the forest near the village Plonka Kościelna, which is three kilometers from Łapy.

Father Henryk Baginski

Photo, above: Father Henryk Baginski, who during the German occupation in Łapy was the pastor of the parish. He rescued many Jewish children from certain death. Together with Maria Kuzin, he discharged fake birth certificates for Jewish children. Then they were placed with Catholic families. Many of them survived the war; after the war, Maria Kuzin was awarded the medal of Yad Vashem, Righteous Among the Nations."

 

 

 



next ►►

 


Copyright 2011. Museum of Family History.  All rights reserved.  Image Use Policy.