The Cemetery Project

Y Holocaust Memorials Y




Also see Majdanek, Oswiecim (Auschwitz) , Terezin and Treblinka.



This monument was erected in 1992 in the former Jewish cemetery in Belchatow. The site is now a public park.

Memorial plaque

Some of this monument was made up of fragments of matzevot.



Memorial plaque

Inscription on
the memorial
commemorating the destruction of the
great Synagogue

Memorial to the destruction of the
great Synagogue

Memorial to the heroes, i.e. those
who resisted, of the Bialystok ghetto
Memorial to the victims of the destruction of
the Bialystok ghetto




Bogusze was the site of a "transit camp," where the Nazis "stored" Jews, Russians, and political prisoners waiting to be transported
to the concentration and extermination camps.


Bogusze memorial plaque.
The inscription reads:
"Place soaked with blood:
11,070 prisoners of war and civilians were murdered by Hitler's troops
in the years 1942-1944.
Honor to their memory!"

A second memorial.

"In honor of the victims of Hitler's fascist officers and troops: the Russian army, members of the Movement of Defiance, prisoners of the Bogusze concentration camp, Poles, Italians, Frenchmen, and Lithuanians who died at the hands of Hitler's executioners in the years 1941-1945.
People of the District of Grajewo."

Another memorial to
the Bogusze Transit Camp.

"July 22, 1944 - July 22, 1959.
Here, in an area of 50 hectares,
from the years 1941 to 1945,
stood a place where people from different nations were executed, a Nazi concentration camp.
No more war!
People of the District of Grajewo."




This memorial stone was erected
to the memory of the SHNIDOVER family
who were murdered by the Nazis
during the second World War 1939-1945
   father Shimon born in 1887
   mother Sara Masha born in 1884
   son David born in 1909
   daughter Dvora born in 1911
   grandmother Sheva born in 1856

Memorial at the
former Chorzele cemetery,
composed of old gravestones.



Plaque on a wall at the square of the Czestochowa Ghetto Heroes
"In memory of the Jews of Czestochowa, slain by the Nazi murderers and in memory of the heroes of the Jewish resistance organisation killed in action during the years of German occupation in 1939-1945."  


DEblin, Poland

"Honor...murdered unknown Polish travelers in the area of the Deblin railroad station
by gendarmes, Nazis, in the years 1939-1944. Part of their memory."



Memorial at the
Dobra cemetery.

The memorial is inscribed in Polish, Hebrew and English.

The inscription states:
"To honour and commemorate the history of the Jewish residents of Dobra, in particular the victims of the Nazi occupation between 1939
and 1945.

Their descendants

The Dobra Town Council

with the local Government of Dobra Town inhabitants."

Dobra 2008




This memorial is located in the front of the Jewish cemetery in Izbica. 4000 Jewish residents of Izbica were either murdered at the cemetery or at the Belzec or Sobibor death camps.


Cmentarz Zydowski w Jedwabnem


It is very sad that in many towns Jewish matzevot (gravestones) were removed from local cemeteries and used as paving stones to line floors or streets in the town. This was the case in Kazimierz. In 1983 such stones were removed from the town's Franciscan monastery (once used by the Gestapo) and, since they could no longer be returned to the local cemetery, were used to create a memorial wall. As in the original cemetery, the men's and women's matzevot occupied opposite ends of the wall. The memorial sits atop a knoll and is characterized by a large vertical crack that is said to symbolize the fact that so many Jewish lives were disrupted, not to mention the breakup of the local Jewish community. The stones that are rounded and contain carvings of candleholders or menorahs occupy the very top of the memorial.



"In memory of the 42 Jews murdered on July the 4th in 1946 during anti-Semitic riots. Commemorating plate is built in the anniversary of these events by Nissenbaum Fouindation on the initiative of Lech Walesa, the Leader of Solidarity."



Monument to the Jewish people who suffered under the Nazis from 1939 to 1945.
The inscription on this monument's plaque is too unclear to read fully.



Plaque, left from a plaque on a remnant of the Krakow ghetto wall:
"Here lived, suffered and perished at the hands of Nazi oppressors, led their flock's final journey to the death camps."

Memorial plaque to
Jewish martyrs of Cracow
at Synagoga Remuh

Wall containing fragments
of many matzevot

Magnified view of
matzevot fragments





This synagogue, according to documents, was built in the late 1800's to serve the towns of Krasnosielc and Rozan. The street on one side was renamed Jewish Street after its construction. To save money, the second story interior, reserved for the women of the congregation, was reached by an exterior stairway.

laques were placed on the wall of the synagogue by the Association of Former Krasnosielc Residents in Israel and USA, 1996.

"This building was the synagogue of 2000 members of the Jewish community of Krasnosielc until World War II.

Here on the night of 6 IX 1939 more than 50 prominent members of the community were brutally murdered by the Nazi-Germans and their bodies buried in the adjoining yard.

The remainder of the community was then driven out through acts of terror to a bitter fate."

The grave of the
murdered Jews
of Krasnosielc

This gravesite (left) was finally found in 1991 after a local resident, whose family was forced to bury the bodies, shared the information with hired investigators.

The plaque on the wall relates to this site of the murdered  Jews on the night of Sept 5,1939.




Holocaust memorial, with graffiti, in a field in Kutno by the cemetery.




Memorial at the old
Radegast railway station,
 from where nearly 150,000 Jews
were sent to Nazi death camps
during World War II.

Radegast railway station
and railroad cars used to
transport Jews to the concentration camps.

Holocaust survivors
looking out from car.

Lodz Cemetery
shooting pits,
where the last Jews above ground in Lodz had dug their own graves when the Soviets liberated the city. They were saved and the pits have remained as mute reminders of the moment.

Radegast crematorium

Memorial plaque to
Jakubowicz family
of Lodz

Lodsche Shaddai

Memorial inside

Memorial at cemetery

Memorial at cemetery

Photo left: "25 Oct the behest of the Nazi....over....Jews in Hamburg, ...deported to the ghetto in Lodz....Alfred village was gassed in 1942...century."




Memorial plaque to Jews who lived
in Lomza during World War II, and
is dedicated at the site
Great Synagogue of Lomza
which was destroyed during the war.


Memorial plaque at
New Lomza Cemetery.




The survivors from Losice gather at the memorial to those who perished in the Holocaust. Memorial plaques that stand at the gates of the restored Losice cemetery.



Memorial to the Jews of Łuków
at the site of the
old cemetery.

During World War II, the Jewish community in Łuków was decimated. Before the Jews of Łuków disappeared, the town was a transit point on the way to the gas chambers for thousands of Jews from various regions of Poland and even from abroad. In May 1942, over 2,000 Jews from Slovakia were sent to Łuków.

The first mass murders of the Jews of Łuków started in March 1942, when the Germans shot forty-seven of them. Next, forty-nine were killed on the 31st of April. During that summer, Jews were prohibited to leave the town. Everyone who broke this ban was killed.

The systematic liquidation of the Jewish community in Łuków started on 5th October 1942. At that time, 5,000 people were sent to the death camp in Treblinka and also five-hundred were killed on the spot. At that time, the last rabbi (since 1937) of the Jewish community in Łuków, Aaron Note Freiberg, was killed. Next, two-thousand people were transported to Treblinka on the 8th of October. After that action, the size of the ghetto in Łuków was reduced. The Jews from the neighborhood villages of Kock, Wojcieszków, Adamów, Stanin, Tuchowicz, Trzebieszów and Ulan were next sent to the town. On 26-27 October and 7-11 November, three-thousand people were transported to Treblinka and two-hundred Jews were shot in front of the town hall and at the Jewish cemetery.

The Jews who were still alive were returned to the ghetto in December 1942, their living area confined to just a few houses. The ghetto was finally liquidated on 2nd May 1943. In this way then, the Jewish community in Łuków had completely disappeared.

plaque on left:  "
In commemoration of the Jewish partisans and victims murdered by the Nazis in Lukow and vicinity in the years 1939-1949." (the date, 1949, shown here in Polish, should be 1943. This is inscribed correctly in the Hebrew/Yiddish translation.)



A series of surviving matzevot form this memorial.



"From this placer on the tragic September 1939 began the deportations of Polish activists of Opole Silesia to the Nazi death camps. His heroic attitude of victims of life, they gave witness of fidelity to the homeland. On the twenty-fifth anniversary of the liberation of the Buchenwald concentration camps. On 11 April 1970, the Opole Regional Society."



Click here to read the story of the massacre of the Jews of Ostrow Mazowiecka on November 11, 1939.
Photos below courtesy of the Ostrow Mazowiecka Research Family.

Monument commemorating
the murder of 600 Jews
on November 11, 1939.

Monument plaque

Announcement posted
by the Nazis.
The actual poster is in
     the archives of the     
Jewish Historical Institute
in Warszawa.

Translation of



Their blood has been spilled as water…and alas not buried.

Psalm 79:3

"In Sacred memory of the Jewish martyrs of Ozarow and surrounding communities who sanctified the Holy Name of The Almighty in life and in death, and who tragically perished in the flames of the Holocaust. May their hallowed lives be for all generations to come a beacon of light, strength and inspiration."
Dedicated Tishrei 5762-Oct. 2001



"Thou Shalt Not Murder!"

Left tablet: "Remembrance and Restoration Project...In memory of the Holocaust martyrs and the departed of our Jewish community and in the memory of the great Tzadik Rabbi Dr. Hayim David Bernard."

Right tablet: "In everlasting memory 560 innocent Jews were murdered here by the Nazis on December 20, 1942.

In sacred memory 39 Jewish children were murdered here by the Nazis in July of 1943. In sadness and sorrow, forever in our hearts."

Plaque reads: "On Septembrer 30th 1939, the Nazi occupying forces established within the old quarter of the city, the first ghetto in conquered Europe for the Jewish population of Piotrkow Trybunalski and vicinity."
Remembrance and Restoration Project, in memory of the Holocaust martyrs and the departed of our Jewish community and in memory of the great Tzadik Rabbi Dr. Hayim David Bernard.



Monument to David Ben-Gurion, native of Plonsk, Poland
Memorial plaque on Ben-Gurion's former house



  Memorial in Przasnysz Jewish Cemetery
dedicated in 1986.




"Memory; inhabitants of Przemysl and the surrounding areas were  murdered in this place by the Nazis in 1942."




Approach to monument
on grounds of the
old Jewish cemetery


Monument at Jewish
Cemetery in Pulawy


Close-up of
Cemetery Plaque

Memorial Stone on
Lubielski Street


Close-up View of


Close-up of
Cemetery Plaque



Pultusk memorial and
children's playground

left: plaque installed on a wall at 16 Kotlarska Street, the old Jewish community building, in memory of the Jews who died at the hands of the Nazis from 1939 to 1945. The plaque was put up in 1993 and was immediately vandalized.

Monument to
former Jewish
residents of Pultusk



"Learning memory? 8000 Jewish citizens of the city of Radom were murdered on 15 October 1942 in Treblinka by the Nazi criminals. In that place 1700 Jews were shot by German gendarmes in the years c. 1939-1945."




"That I Might Weep Day and Night Over the Slain of the Daughter of My People," Jer. 8, 23.
"Memory of the Jews of the land of Rzeszow--....Nazism..."
Union of Jewish Rzeszow...Israeli city...Rzeszow.




Some perspective on the location
of the Sejny memorial. This monument stands in a non-descript location atop a hill outside of town, among a small number of mostly broken matzevot lying in a field of overgrown grass and weeds, the inscriptions faded over time, each marked only with a Star of David.



"Remember! The Jews of Sochaczew and its surroundings have lived here for 500 years. They were annihilated by the Nazis 1939-1945."

1989 memorial, inscription too faded to decipher.




Memorial in the woods outside of Stavisk [Stawiski],
"This is a place of martyrdom of 700 Jewish inhabitants of Stavisk,
murdered by Nazis, July 1941."
Inscription date 22 July 1964



This memorial wall was built from headstones that were salvaged from the destroyed Suwalki Jewish cemetery.

"Jewish Cemetery destroyed by Hitler's troops in the years 1940-1945, Suwalki."

"This tombstone of remembrance is to the ones who died who rest here in this house of life, and to the other holy souls who were killed at the hands of the murderers. God will avenge their blood. May their souls be bound up in eternal life." (Translation provided by Kathryn Wallach.)



"In this place, in the month of August 1942, Fascists brutally murdered 600 Jews.
In honor and remembrance."



Plaque inscription (approx.): "In June 1942, the Germans began the extermination
of thousands of bloodmurdered, descended upon the street payment."




In 1939, five-hundred Jews lived among approximately 1,900 Poles in Wachock. Only twenty-four survived the Holocaust. The Jewish Cemetery of Wachock was restored through the efforts of Rafael Feferman, one of the shtetl’s twenty-four surviving Jews, and it is dedicated to the memory of the six million, among them Mr. Feferman’s parents and siblings who were deported to Treblinka in 1942. In the center of the cemetery stands a newly erected eight foot wide granite monument that reads in part: "We honor the sacred memory of the Jewish victims of Wachock and surrounding communities who died in the Holocaust. We vow never to forget the Jewish men, women and children whose lives were cut short. We weep for what was lost. We shall never forget."




Memorial to fallen Polish
Jewish soldiers on
Gesia Cemetery grounds
at Warszawa cemetery

Uprising Memorial


Bronze panel at Warszawa
Ghetto Monument

Monument to the Heroes
of the Ghetto bronze relief

Another bronze relief
at Monument

Map of former
Warszawa ghetto

"In the period from Nov 15, 1940 to Nov. 20, 1941, this wall marked the limit of the Ghetto" - plaque affixed by the President of Israel, Chaim Herzog, during a visit to Poland.

Umschlagpatz Monument;
This is where many people
were put onto cattle cars and
subsequently sent to Treblinka

Plaque at the
Umschlagpatz Monument

Mila Street 18 Bunker;
In former Jewish district,
under which lay the bunker
of the ZOB (Jewish Armed
Resistance Organization)

Bunker monument

Warsaw cemetery photos:
photo left: "In memory of the Jewish soldiers who served in the Polish armies. The fighters of the ghetto and the partizans who fell in the fight against Nazism during the Second World War and their place of burial is unknown."

Photo right: "In memory of the Jews, murdered Polish army officers, by the N.K.U.D. in the Spring of 1940 in Katyn, Mednoye and Kharkow -- Polish Jews.
(Warszawa 1904-1997)

photo left, the inscription reads:
"The original gate of Jewish cemetery which was renovated in 1998 by the "Gesia" Foundation, is shown on the picture below during the period of the ghetto 1940-1943. cont. ►►

In honour of the late Moises Karwasser and in eternal memory of the six million Jews that were murdered by the Nazi regime during the Holocaust. In celebration of their lives we dedicate this gate. - With gnerous support of Arick and Lauren K. Karwasser and their children."

photo left, right: Found at the Warsaw Jewish cemetery, by Jack Eisner (Founder and Sponsor).
The inscription reads:
"In memory of the million Jewish children murdered by Nazi German barbarians, 1939-1945."



  "...God, the heathen came to your heritage, defiled thy holy temple." Ps. 79.1.

"Here stood the synagogue my favorite Nazis blew up in 1943. In memory of the Jews, September inhabitants, victims of destruction."





"These stones are all that remain of the once vibrant community that played an important role in the history of Wyszkow. They are gathered here in tribute to that history and in memory of the Jews of Wyszkow who perished in the Holocaust." (1997)




photos courtesy of Foundation for the Preservation of Jewish Heritage in Poland together with the Macevah Foundation.


 In 1941, Germans executed 2000 Jews and imprisoned the others in the ghetto, which was liquidated in the winter of 1942/1043. Remaining Jews of Zambrow were transported to and murdered by the Germans in Treblinka. May their memory be a blessing."

This memorial erected by the Foundation for the Preservation of Jewish Heritage in Poland. The Matsevah Foundation. Michael H. Traison Fund for Poland, 2012/5773.

"The Jewish Cemetery in Zambrow established in the 19th century. Jews lived in Zambrow since the 19th century. 1-Sep-1939, Zambrow had 3500 Jewish residents -- 50% of the population.


photos courtesy of the Rubeus website.

"The Zamoscher Jews...The victims of Hitleristic Fascism...1950...
The Landsleit..."

The memorial is located within the Zamosc Jewish cemetery.

The memorial is surrounded by a wall of Jewish gravestones cemented together to create a wall.

gravestone, left:
mentions a Yosef, Shlomo, Shabtai haLevi Horwitz or Horowitz.


Gravestone fragments above
reveal the surnames of some of the dead:
Israeler, Sternberg and ???stein




"Here are buried the remains of our brothers and sisters murdered by the Nazi beasts during the final extermination action in Zawiercie -- August 1943...Association of former Jewish citizens of Zawiercie & vicinity -- Year 1998."



Copyright © Museum of  Family History

All rights reserved.  Image Use Policy