THE MUSEUM OF FAMILY HISTORY presents
The Synagogues of the Lower East Side
7-11 Willett Street/Bialystoker Place, New York, NY
Bialystoker Synagogue was first located on Hester Street, then was moved
to Orchard Street, eventually locating to its current address on Willett
Street. The building, constructed in 1826, was originally a church.
The building was purchased in 1905 by the congregation, mostly made up of
Polish immigrants who had come from the Bialystok. This beautiful building
was listed as a New York City landmark in 1966. Architecturally, it is
noted for its Federal Style.
12 Eldridge Street, New York, NY
established in 1887
Street Synagogue has recently been beautifully restored. When it first opened, it was described as an "imposing
Moorish-style building, with its 70-foot-high vaulted ceiling, magnificent
stained-glass rose windows, elaborate brass fixtures and hand-stenciled
One can explore their long list of former congregants, dating from the 1850s to the 1950s.
KEDOSHA JANINA SYNAGOGUE
280 Broome Street, New York, NY
built in 1926
The synagogue, built in 1926 by Romaniote Jews who had come
to the United States from Janina, Greece, is the only Romaniote synagogue in the Western Hemisphere. It houses a museum of
both Romaniote history and the history of the Greek Jews during the
Holocaust. The synagogue was listed as a landmark by the city of New
York in 2004, and is currently undergoing restoration.
60-64 Norfolk Street, New York, NY
established in 1859
Hamedrash Hagadol was formed in 1859. In 1885, the congregation took over
the building which used to house a Baptist Church. This synagogue was the
first synagogue to be designated a New York City landmark. It was the home
of Rabbi Ephraim Oshry, a noted Holocaust scholar from Kovno.
8-10 Clinton Street, New York, NY
built in 1853
|Chasam Sopher is
the oldest, continuously-operating synagogue in New York City,
built in 1853 by the
German-Jewish congregation Rodeph Sholem.
In 1892, two Polish congregations merged to form the Chasam Sopher
Synagogue. The synagogue has been undergoing renovations for a number of
years and is quite beautiful.
CONGREGATION BNAI JACOB ANSCHEI BRZEZAN
(STANTON STREET SHUL)
180 Stanton Street, New York, NY
built in 1913
Originally, this "tenement shul" housed a
congregation that was founded in 1894 by immigrant Jews from the town of
Brzezany, Poland. The building is an intact early 20th-century vernacular
synagogue. The congregation first met on Rivington Street, also on the
Lower East Side, but moved to their current building in 1913. In 1952 ,
the congregation merged with Bnai Joseph Dugel Macheneh Ephraim.
|Please visit the Lower East Side Synagogue List to see a listing of more than four hundred and fifty synagogues or societies that were once associated with the Lower East Side of Manhattan. The list contains the names of the societies, well as the addresses their members once met at; also included is the name and country associated with each synagogue or society, when applicable and known.|
Copyright © Museum of Family History.
All rights reserved. Image Use Policy