Museum of the Yiddish Theatre
   
   
          Visit Us            Exhibitions           
Collections            Research            Opportunities            About the Museum            Site Map            Contact Us            Links 
 


 
















 

Welcome to the Movies!

 

   
The Cast:
Adam Domb ... Chaim Kronenberg
Ester-Rokhl Kaminska ... Mrs. Kronenberg
Ida Kaminska ... Rachel Kronenberg, daughter
Moses Lipman ... Berek Mandel
Henry Tarlo ... Jankiel Mandel, Berek's son
Wladyslaw  Godik ... Jankiel's friend
  David Lederman ... Marriage Broker
Samuel Landau ... Swietoszek Speculator
 Mae Schoenfeld Lev Mogilov ... Szmuel Lewin, the Boy
Jonas Turkow ... Yeshiva Student
  Zygmunt Turkow ... The Prophet Elijah
Mae Schoenfeld Simche Balanoff ... Jacob Mandel, the Playboy
  Sonia Altaum ...  
Diana Blumenfeld ...  
Mae Schoenfeld Herman Fenigstein ...  
Mae Schoenfeld Zev Levi ...  
Ruth Turkow ...  


A VILNER LEGENDE
(A VILNA LEGEND)
Re-issue of "Tkies khaf" [The Vow],
which was first released in Poland in 1924,
then a narration by Joseph Buloff,
with several new scenes added,
was released in 1934 as "A Vilna Legend,"
then the film was re-released on Sept. 24, 1949.

60 minutes, B & W
Directed (1924) by Zygmunt Turkow; in 1933 by George Roland
Screenplay (1924) by Henryk Bojm; (1933) by Jacob Mestel
from a play by Peretz Hirshbein
Filmed in Vilnius, Lithuania and Warsaw, Poland
 

A precursor to the 1937 classic, The Dybbuk, A Vilna Legend is a tale of frustrated love and destiny with the breaking and fulfillment of vows. A yeshiva student and a poor girl who are deeply in love face eternal separation even though their parents promised them to each other before birth. The film preserves a moment in Eastern European Jewish History, when such classical folklore figures as the prophet Elijah still held a place in the popular consciousness. This rare cultural treasure preserves the only known cinema performance by Ester-Rokhl Kaminska, who shares the limelight with her daughter, Ida Kaminska. Much of the film was shot on location in Vilna. In 1933, a group of New York Yiddish actors decided to give the original 1924 film gem a new lease on life by adding a narration and several new scenes, which gave dramatic justification to the narrative form.
-- The National Center for Jewish Film

 



You can see a film clip of this movie:
 

 


 

 



Cast listings courtesy of www.imdb.com.
 

Copyright Museum of the Yiddish Theatre.  All rights reserved.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Copyright Museum of Family History. All rights reserved. Image Use Policy